Inventory in 1598
The History of the HBMGeschichteGeschichteGeschichte
BG
News
Contact
Opening Hours
 
Drawing of the façade, 1863
Drawing of the façade, 1882
View from the outside, around 1905
View from the outside, around 1926
Inside view of the den, 1937

The History of the Hexenbürgermeisterhaus

The house was built between 1565 and 1571 by Hermann Kruwel, a merchant, and his wife Lisbeth Fürstenau. It was one of the biggest and most prestigious middle-class houses built in the 16th century in Lemgo.

In the 17th century, the mayor of the city, Hermann Cothmann (1629-1683), owned the house. The name Hexenbürgermeisterhaus goes back to him and his actions during the witch trials.

In the 19th century, the house became property of several craftmen's families. Around 1850 it was transformed into an apartment building for multiple families.

In 1911, the last private owner of the house wanted to transform it into a modern residential and business building. He threatened to take down and sell the famous facade. To keep it where it belonged, the city of Lemgo bought the house - an early example of the conservation of monuments in Lippe.

In 1926, the museum of local history was opened in the Hexenbürgermeisterhaus. The museum was expanded in 1937. During this expansion a torture chamber, which the private house had never had,  was built in the basement.

Between 1998 and 2004, an extensive restoration project was carried out. The new permanent exhibition was opened in 2007.